Thursday, July 17, 2008

Resolutions

First of all, let me say that I have no idea what Tammy is talking about in reference to the Gateway box. It's not like I would EVER climb inside a box and play in it. Especially not when I was 20 years old. My daughter might take after me just a little bit. Maybe. Boxes are fun. A world of imagination can soar with a box.... :)

Now, on to the real post.

I'm sick of being unhappy with my body. I'm not majorly unhappy, don't get me wrong. I'm just tired of having no self discipline when it comes to chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, cookies in general, and Dove dark chocolate. I want to have a healthy lifestyle, a healthy diet, a healthy self image about my body.

I've been exercising consistently for about a month now. I am now going to start eating in a more healthy manner. (Not an easy feat when there are chocolate chip cookies in the pantry, and summer brings on a craving for lots of ice cream) I think I'm going to cut down on my refined carbs and focus more on veggies, fruits, and lean proteins. I can't cut out carbs entirely--- it doesn't do good things for my moods. But I can change the type of carbs that I eat.

I'm ready to be in the best shape that I can be in, mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually. I'm ready to be the best person that I can be. (oh dear, the Army theme song is running through my head---Be all that you can be, in the Army) And if being the best that I can be means that I have to discipline myself not to eat junk, to physically exercise, to take my Lexapro, and to spend more time in prayer, then those are the things that I'm going to do.

Oh, and Aaron, I DON'T need you to make jokes if I cheat or give me a hard time if I sneak a cookie every now and then. :) LOL That would not help. For all men out there---- encouragement in the form of comments such as, "You're doing really good at keeping up with your exercise..." or "This new recipe is really good- thanks for trying something new and healthy," is good encouragement. Saying, "Are you sure you really want to eat that?" is NOT good. Saying, "Does sitting on the couch count as exercise?" does not come across as encouraging. Trust me on these things. :):) (I have to give you a hard time, Aaron.)

On a side note, I'm curious about something of a spiritual nature. I'd love any knowledge about this--- I'm praying about a department in our church and am seeking God's will concerning the direction of this department. As I was praying about this, the thought of fasting came to me. I don't know much about fasting and prayer--- of course I can research, and I intend to, but I was curious about other Christian's knowledge about the practice of fasting when seeking God's will in an area. Thanks in advance for any input. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fasting was always meant as a time to give up the physical needs (food) in exchange for time with God. So strictly speaking if you fast you should spend the time you normally eat in pray to God. The sacrifice is supposed to draw you closer to God and as such help you in times where you are seeking discernment, are about to or have already had a huge life change, are struggling with faith or questions of faith, or simply as a way to offer up a sacrifice to God. In the new testament Peter is the one that talks the most about fasting. Of course Christ also refers to fasting when the pharisees criticize his disciples for not doing it. Fasting, according to Christ is to be a very private personal thing, between a believer and his creator. Not to be put out there for everyone to see. One thing I always liked about the Catholic faith was their practice of Lent. Where you give up something for a period of time, and meat on Fridays in the 40 days leading up to easter. This is a form of fasting. Fasting does not have to be complete abstinence from food, but this practice definately puts your mind squarely on God and prepared your heart for the most significant Christian holiday. Anyway. Just some thoughts on fasting for you.