Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sleepless in Atlanta

Well, here's the good news: Prayer works! My grandma's kidneys failed because of a medication that she was on. So they flushed her system and her kidneys are working again! We are waiting for news from the cardiologist about her heart function. Also, she's been in constant pain since around July because of a fracture in her spine that we suspected but could not get confirmed. After doing an MRI, the fracture is confirmed. So on Monday, they're going to do a procedure that should lead to some relief for her pain.

The bad news? Well, really, there isn't any bad news. Unless you count the news that I am going to be in Georgia til at least Monday. But you know, while I miss the husband and kiddos (WOW, so much!) I can't think of anywhere I would rather be. Holding grandma's hand when she's hurting, singing hymns, and just being here is worth the heartache of missing my husband and kids. (Especially since Starbuck is now puking like TPJ was...)

I'm sleepless because Grandma has been restless since about 3 am. I can tell when the pain medication starts to wear off. Her legs get twitchy and she raises her knees in an effort to take pressure off of her back. She begins to talk more in her sleep-- mostly calling out to the Lord to have mercy on her. I've prayed with her a few times using that phrase. Have mercy, dear Lord, have mercy.

I just need to be connected to the outside world right now. Though she's better, I can't shake the feeling that my time with her is limited, shorter than I know. "Well, of course," you all say, "You've just been through a scary time, thinking she was dying in the next day or two." But that's not it. Ask Aaron--- I have a sense for things sometimes. And while I do not want to predict Grandma's death, I know that this time with her is precious. I have the feeling that sometime in the near future, I will look back and be glad that I made the trip down and stayed for as long as I needed to. Have mercy, dear Lord, have mercy. I don't want to think about the reality of my sense of shortened time.

My tummy is growling. Gurgle gurgle growl. But it's only 5:30 am. I don't think the cafeteria is open just yet. :) Probably a good thing. I'm leery of eating anything anyhow, since both of my kids have had the pukes in the past three days. :):)

Off to read Brisinger, the third in the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. Excellent. Most excellent. Dragons. Magic. Elves. Dwarves. Battle. Love. Love unrequieted. Dragons. Wait, did I say Dragons? :)

No comments: