Monday, September 07, 2009

Just a bit of nostalgia....

I've found a new author that I really like--- Cathy Pickens. She writes funny mysteries set in the mountains of South Carolina. Two reasons right there why I like her! :) The mountains of SC are a part of the Appalachian mountains, just like the mountains in my hometown. I read about her characters and I am brought back home for just a short time. It's good.

Another reason why I like her books so much are because of the relationship that Avery, the main character, had with her late grandfather. Though her grandfather is dead, she still has her memories and love for him in her heart. Reminds me so much of my grandpa. I had to stop reading today when Avery mixed some peanuts in with her bottle of Coke. I can't tell you how many times I'd seen my grandpa do that. And right now, I'm craving it.... :)

I miss Grandpa so strongly today, and I think I have for a few weeks. It's hard to describe. My missing changed last year. At some point last year, I was able to stop aching in such a deep way whenever Gpa came to my heart and mind. My memories were finally a place of deep joy and happiness, instead of sorrow and anger. Not that I hadn't accepted Gpa's death and moved forward before last year--- but in moving forward, I'd had to put the pictures of his last days in my mental box. Now I can take that mental box down and appreciate the man that he was, even in the last painful weeks of his life. But there are still some things, like peanuts and Coke, or hearing a voice that has the same tone as his, that causes me to ache intensely. But I guess that's good, right?

Henry R. Hall, I miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen! hugs to you daughter