Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Zoo!

Ethan and I started out terribly this morning. He woke up way too early after going to bed way too late. I woke up way too early to deal with him effectively. We did ok til it was time to choose breakfast foods. Now, I'm fairly easy going about brekkie. I offer him two choices, oatmeal or oatmeal bites. Milk to drink, of course. This morning, even though we long ago established that lemonade is NOT a breakfast choice, he pitched a fit when I told him no to lemonade. Then he kept vascillating between oatmeal and oatmeal bites. Finally I chose for him. He didn't eat it, but that was his choice.

I wanted to take a shower (imagine that!) so I let him watch Dora the Explorer while I went upstairs. They've changed a few things about Dora recently, including the Map song, for those who are interested.... anyhow, as I'm ALMOST stepping into the shower, he starts yelling. So I throw on my robe and go down to check on him. He's yelling along to Dora. Sigh. I finally get showered and humanized, and tell him that in two minutes it's time to get dressed. Yeah. We went around and around about getting dressed, and I finally ended up yelling at him and putting him on his bed with the threat of calling Daddy and telling him that he didn't need to come home to go to the zoo with us. We reached a point where things calmed down, and we were indeed able to go to the zoo when Aaron came home around 10.30 am.

Now the zoo is one of my favorite places. Some people have issues with animals being in captivity and all that. And I could be counted as one of those people, except that the Cincinnati Zoo does a great job of not overcrowding the animals and providing them with decent habitats.

Anyhow, the first thing Ethan wanted to see were the giraffes. I love giraffes. I really don't know why. Maybe it's the amazing way in which they are made!Those necks, those legs, that prehensile tongue that they can use to eat their boogers.... oh wait... I find that gross... but still. The giraffe was sitting down today, which we've never seen before, and it was grasping plants within reach with that fabulous tongue. I think I was the only adult giggling at the antics of the giraffe. Aaron was laughing at me, and making dirty comments about the giraffe's abilities. What a man! :)

After the giraffes, we walked around the zoo and saw all sorts of things. We went to the insect house, the reptile house, and of course, the discovery center. We all had a good time, and managed not to get cranky with each other for the rest of the day.

Tips for the day:
1.If you're feeding the goats, and they start to jump up on you, for HEAVEN'S SAKE, don't raise your hands over your head! Lower them and give the goats the food, or better yet, drop the food!!
2. If you remember to switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer before it gets sour and smelly, remember to start the dryer. Otherwise, you may as well have left it in the washer. Sigh.
3. Remember to take your rubber bands to pull your hair up with when you go to the zoo, otherwise the goats may nibble on it.

In case you can't tell, tips 1 and 3 were observations from the zoo, and 2 is a practical experience tip from my house. :)

No comments: